Throughout the year, Central Florida is well known for having mid-afternoon showers. Luckily, as Central Floridians, we haven’t had to face a serious drought for the last 10 years. However, when there are drought conditions, usually residents are limited in how often they are allowed to water their lawns. So what should you do to maintain your beautiful lawn in the event of a drought?
A lot of what has to do with your lawn’s health goes into its pre-drought care. Your lawn is able to survive long periods of time without water. It will sometimes turn brown but once the drought lifts, it will bounce back in just a few short weeks. During a drought, a healthy lawn can last up to 8 weeks on just ¼ inch of water every few weeks. Some ways to properly care for your lawn in the face of potential drought conditions are:
- Raising your lawn mower blade, leaving your grass about 3 inches tall to provide the roots with shade. Also, leaving your grass clippings on the lawn after mowing will help your lawn retain moisture.
- Water deeply, but infrequently
- When you can water your lawn, water it slowly in order to avoid any water runoff, or water your lawn in cycles.
- Check to ensure that your sprinklers and irrigation system are in good, working order.
- Water your lawn in the morning, if possible, to reduce evaporation.
- Make sure you’re aerating and dethatching for optimal water penetration
If you need a fresh start with your lawn, Ground Source is here to help you have a healthy, green lawn. We will help you choose the proper sod, ensure that you will have proper irrigation to extend the life of your sod, and after a complete install we offer a 30 warranty. You can be sure that you will have the perfect lawn, at no additional cost to you.
We are experts in all components of sod installation from preparation to pest and disease prevention for your new sod. Give us a call at 407-378-5366 to speak with one of our lawn care experts or to set up an appointment.