Summer is just around the corner, and now's the time you want to really enjoy your yard. What's better than a lazy afternoon in the sun, drink in hand, and catching some rays? If you want to really enjoy your yard, you're going to need to rejuvenate your lawn. If your lawn is looking like it needs some love, new sod could be what you need. Here's why.
When Your Lawn Needs Some Love
Over the colder months, your lawn may have taken a beating. Sometimes it can dry up and go brown, which obviously is not the best look. It's certainly not great if you want to play or sunbathe on it! There's also the damage that can be done by children or pets using it constantly. As hard as you try, it'll take damage and it just won't look as good as you want it to be.
Why Lay New Sod?
There's a lot of benefits to laying new sod on your lawn, rather than using other methods. These include:
- Faster to use: It's quicker to lay down new sod than use seeding to replenish your lawn. It'll take quickly, and you'll have a great looking lawn in no time at all. If you're looking to save time, sod will be the way to go.
- Easy to obtain: If you buy from an Orlando sod delivery company like us here at Ground Source, you'll find it's easy to get hold of good quality, freshly cut grass. You'll get the highest quality with us, so your lawn will look amazing once you use the sod.
- Easy to lay: Laying sod is a simple procedure, so if you're the type to DIY, you'll get it done in no time at all. Even if you hire a professional to do it, it'll be done quickly so you can get on with enjoying your new lawn.
- Less irrigation: When you're using seed, you'll need to keep the lawn watered frequently in order to keep it growing. Sod is already established, so you'll need less water to keep it alive until it grows in. That makes it easier on your wallet and the planet in general.
- Start enjoying your lawn sooner: Because sod is more established and stronger, you'll only need to give it 2-4 weeks to establish itself in your lawn. That means less waiting, and more time out on the lawn enjoying the sun!
How To Lay New Sod
Now that you've had your Orlando sod delivered to home, you're going to need to lay it. Luckily, it's an easy process.
Firstly, you'll need to ensure you've got enough sod for the job. It's usually best to order 5% more than you'll need, in order to give you room to cut round curves and edges.
Use a rototiller to aerate the ground you'll be laying your sod on, and to remove any rocks or any other obstacles from the area. Once that's done, rake the soil so the area is level.
Pick a straight edge on your new lawn, such as a patio edge, and unroll your sod against it. Once you've unrolled one, you can lay the next roll next to it, staggering it like you would when laying bricks. As you roll them out, ensure you're not walking on the sod, and keep edges as close together as you can. Path the sod down to avoid air pockets between the sod and the soil beneath.
Once the sod is laid out, you can cut the edges to make it all fit snugly on your new lawn. Use a roller to properly bed down your sod, and then for the first week, water your lawn every day. After the first week, you can water every other day until the lawn is three weeks old and properly established.
Love Your New Lawn
Now that you've laid new sod on your lawn, you'll have a yard that's the envy of the whole neighborhood. Look into getting sod to repair or replace your lawn, and you'll have a yard that's ready to use just in time for the summer months. Have a look now, it's cheaper and easier than you think!